Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Another Bracha to say along with Shehecheyanu

My Hevruta and I have been working our way through the tractate Brachot As I am preparing to leave for Israel on my Leadership Institute for Hebrew School Principals Israel Seminar tomorrow, I learned a new blessing.  “The Rabbis taught in a baraita If one sees Houses of Israel in their inhabited state, he says ‘Blessed are You…who establishes the boundary of the widow.  (58b)  Rashi in his commentary says this refers to the Second Temple period  because it was only after the destruction of the First Temple was Israel describe as a widow in the book of Lamentations, Eicha. Rashi implies that this refers only in the Land of Israel. 

Wouldn’t you know we leave for Israel on Motzei Tu Bishvat! I know from all my previous trips that the National bird of Israel should be the Building Crane.  There is constant construction go on, changing the landscape.  I am constantly impressed by the beauty of these new apartment buildings.  I know we who are participating on this Israel experience span the political spectrum. Although we won’t agree on many political issues, we all love and support Israel in our way.  Personally I can hardly wait to land in Israel and be able to recite this bracha when I see the State of Israel being redeemed and flourishing with Jews living in their own houses. “Baruch Matziv Gevul Almana!”Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment