Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I am still here and as confused as ever


Our Israel Seminar highlighted the complexities of the life here in Israel. Visiting my friends who have made aliyah has emphasized the challenges our people face here.  All my friends’ political views span the entire spectrum from right to left.  Last night one friend told me she won't ride the new light railroad train because it passes through Arab villages and their is no security on board.  She took me and showed me a new Jewish neighborhood built in the middle of Arab villages.  Because of the way I framed a question, she finally said that the Jews did encroach upon Arab land but saw nothing wrong with that. 







Afterwards I joined another group of friends who are left wingers.  We talked about the Jewish settlers disregard for Arab Lands.  How there really is a land grab and the government either can't or won't stop them.  In yesterday's Ha'aretz Newspaper, an article reported that the legislature is allowing settlers to build unpaved roads around their settlements on Arab Lands.  Another article talks about settlers violating the Oslo accords by incorporating Arab lands from territory that is under PA control and Israel security.  I highly recommend following Allen Katzoff's blog "Seven Months in Tel Aviv" for me hard hitting investigative fact filled blogging.







Today I attended my first commanders' ceremony.  Still another family's son graduated as a sargent in the Tank Corp.  They invited me to attend.  How could I refuse?  There were 140 young standing tall, proud, and enthusiastic getting their stripes.  Before the ceremonies, the families gather around picnic baskets for a festive meal.  We watched them march in and fall in formation.  With the razzle dazzle of presenting arms, standing at attention, and at ease, these young men wowed their families.







At the end of the ceremonies after they received their promotion and threw their berets in the air, the official part of the ceremonies were over.  My friend's son unit danced and sang arm in arm.  The sheer happiness on their faces was infectious.  Their whole future lay in front of them.  Along with the mazal tovs, I also thought to myself these young men will have to deal with all of Israel's complexities and challenges of settler vs those who want a 2 state solution, of the ultra-orthodox vs those who want no religious coercion, of Jews vs Palestinians, and of Jews vs Arabs.  What a heavy and hard burden for these 19-20 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment