Saturday, February 18, 2012

Bookends

By Lisa Friedman

To post at the beginning and the end of an experience like we've had is quite special. I am always mindful of the opportunity to see if I have done what I had set out to do. Ten days ago I stood under the full moon near the desert, and we shared an opening ceremony through all of our senses. I stated then that it would be my goal to experience all of Israel through every sense. This is not hard to do!
What did I see? People, schools, stunning architecture, gorgeous wild flowers, the interplay of old & new....
What did I taste? Falafel, cheese, olives, feta, pita, hummus, rugelach....
What did I hear? Hebrew, children laughing, friends greeting, praying, music, rain, hail...
What did I smell? Flowers, grilled meats, frying oil, spices, candles burning...
What did I feel? Hugs, tears, good belly laughs, a silk tallit, warmth, cold....

All this and so much more. And I am grateful. Grateful for the experience and grateful for the ability to use all my senses. Thank you, Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment